Sunday, August 12, 2012

Fried Pineapple Rings


Fried Pineapple Rings? Really? Yes, I had been thinking about trying this for some time now as a stand alone dessert. Finally decided to give it a go today to see how it would turn out. It was interesting to say the least and it would depend on the persons taste to determine if it was good or bad.

In other words, it didn't turn out quite as I expected but I'm awhile back when I first started this blog, I promised to post any recipes (I come up with) good or bad. That's what makes this blog an interesting concept because sometimes you have to experiment with a combination of different ingredients to come up with the next best dish which could be a winner.



Ingredients:


  • Pineapple
  • Chocolate Cake Batter
  • Flour
  • Egg
  • Oil for frying


Start off by getting all your ingredients together by putting everything in a separate bowl such as the cake better mix, along with your flour, and scrambled egg.

After you slice your pineapple into rings about 1 inch thick, take the ring and dip into your egg to coat it so the flour and cake batter will stick to it.

Now that you've egg dipped the ring, batter it with the flour and afterwards the cake batter.



Using a deep fryer heated up to 350, fry your coated pineapple ring for about 3 to 5 minutes. It's a simple as that and your done!

Putting ice cream on top didn't even save this dessert.
Speaking of expectations, what I expected was an awesome fried pineapple dessert but it didn't quite work in that way. Why? It was missing any kind of the "oh wow, this is such a treat" factor that you would expect from dessert. When you could easily buy a cheap brownie mix from the store and be more satisfied, it doesn't speak a whole lot for your made up dessert and that was the case here.

I'm completely fine with this because what I expected and what it could be are two very different things. Meaning, this concept of a fried pineapple ring just because it didn't work for dessert doesn't mean it wouldn't be good for other applications. For instance, I could see this being a winner for a burger topping or cut into fried pineapple squares to use in your stir fry. If you were to use fried pineapple rings in this way, you would simply omit the cake batter as an ingredient. Now, I'm thinking that I just might have to try this the next time I buy a delicious pineapple so be looking for that in a future post. To sum it up, I'd have to say that this is recommended for a mirad of foodie applications but not recommended for dessert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment