Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Greek Mexican Melting Pot Pizza

Pin It


Pizza has always been one of those great food inventions, not just because it's extremely tasty but because you can do so many different variations of it. That's what I love about cooking in general and why I enjoy doing this blog so much. It allows me to break out of the mindset that wants to stick to just the same variation of food every day.

This weeks Food Crazie post definitely breaks from the ordinary. Yes, it may be some of the same type of ingredients you see day in and day out but it's not the type of pizza you see everyday.  Why do I call it "The Greek Mexican Melting Pot Pizza"?  As you can obviously see from the picture it's more of a cross between a tostada (especially because there's flour tortilla for the crust) and a pizza but besides that is ingredients I used. You'll never guess it by looking at the image but the Greek comes from the fact that I used Greek yogurt for the sauce. Ok, why Greek yogurt? Many people such as myself use Greek yogurt in place of sour cream because it's healthier and is close to the same taste. Told you that this a Food Crazie blog.



Ingredients:

  • 1 Flour Tortilla (I prefer ready made that you have to cook on a skillet)
  • Red Cabbage 
  • Turkey Ground Meat
  • Greek Yogurt (I prefer Voskos All Natural Greek Yogurt)
  • Cheddar Cheese
  • Mozzarella Cheese  
Simple steps here, nothing too fancy. The most work will come from cooking the turkey ground meat and mixing in the red cabbage but nothing too hard. To see how to cook cabbage and mix it with meat, check out this post on my other food blog called Off The Menu 



After you have your turkey cabbage mixture like you see in the image, like I said, it's fairly simple to put everything together but I will tell you anyway...

Get your tortilla nice and crispy when your cooking it so nothing falls though when you put the ingredients on.

Spread at least a table spoon (more if you desire) of Greek yogurt on the tortilla for the sauce. Then top with your cabbage turkey mixture and spread mozzarella and cheddar on top of that evenly. Finally, cook in the oven until the cheese melts.


What's great about this, as you can see, is that you can eat it like you would a pizza but it's foldable as well so you can eat like a burrito. Besides what's in the ingredients, that's why I aptly named it "The Greek Mexican Melting Pot Pizza". Melting pot of course refers to all the different ingredients I mixed together.

By the way, all those odd ingredients mixed together made for a very scrumptious lunch for a day. It actually tasted better than I would of expected. That's also the fun of this blog, you never know what you're going to get. I've also said that even if one of my food inventions doesn't come out good and blows up in my face like a boy messing with a chemistry set then so be it; you can bet you'll see it posted anyway. As for this one, it did not blow up in my face or my stomach for that matter but it really didn't blow my mind either so I would not recommend it to you.

3 comments:

  1. Elpiniki, thanks for stop by and your feedback! It was interesting. Definitely something different and that's what this blog is about. Stay tuned for this weeks post. I'm going to cook you guys something even more crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great,something different.New follower from delightsofculinaria.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete